Thursday, April 1, 2010

Asking the right question!

I caught the 5.30 bus today from office, unlike my usual 6.30 or the 6.50 bus. After a long time I saw the setting sun of the evening! Leaving the office when it is quite bright is simply a feeling that can’t be described in words! The reason for leaving early is that long weekend is on the threshold and who would like to sit in the office in this case? I have to draft few mails, which I would do happily from home, watching the IPL. KKR is taking on Deccan Chargers today.


Coming to the matter of fact, my telepathic sense told that the beautiful girl sitting next to me in the aisle seat is from my company! The telepathy however betrayed me a little as I got to know of the fact, when she was just about to alight at her stop! Anyway, better luck next time. I was just about to strike a conversation by asking the product area she is working in, when the question actually reminded me of a funny incident that happened few days back, which I would mention here.


The companies in IT industry can be broadly classified as Service oriented companies and the Product oriented companies. Service based companies as the name suggests provide the IT solutions to their Clients. Product based companies, however, make and sell their own products to the customers. The service companies have Verticals, Horizontals, BUs, and DUs etc. etc. Product companies, on the other hands have products or product area.


I had my first job in a typical Indian service based MNC. Now I work for a Product based company. As our habit is, when we talk to strangers, the probable first question to be asked is about his/her project. One fine day at a coffee machine, I saw a very old person, who was looking quite experienced and seemed to be at a good post in the company. Our eyes met, smiles passed and just to get acquaintance, I asked him, “Which Project are you working in?” The expressions on his face showed that he was quite surprised to hear that question. After a pause of two seconds or so, he explained to me his profile and his team and what they work on. I thought for a moment that I am talking to quite an influential personality!


Just before saying good bye, he smilingly told me, "Son, we do not work on Projects. It is the Product area!” Then I understood, why he was surprised! I had asked a wrong question.


I came back from my reverie and finally asked her, “Which Product area are you working in?” Her answer was blended with a seventy mm smile and few moments later she got down at her stop!


God Bless!

Cheers!

Adi

1 comment:

  1. he he he.. i agree... people so often ask the very wrong questions. in fact we can use this to our own advantage at times. what is also important to remember is that we should never ask a question when we are not ready for the answer :)
    keep questioning!!!

    ReplyDelete