Monday, April 26, 2010

The Rajdhani Saga!

Today I am sharing my experience of travelling by Rajdhani for the first time. I wrote this while travelling in the train, 3 months back!


Here I go-


I am writing this while travelling in the 2429 Rajdhani express from Bangalore to H.Nizamuddin. I am on my way to Bhopal to attend marriage of one of my friend’s sister. It’s been just more than 15 days since I last travelled on this train. My first ever journey in the Rajdhani was on 13th of January 2010 up to Nagpur.


I just thought to put down few words for my Rajdhani experience as I feel Rajdhani is supposedly the most prestigious train in our county after Shatabdi. I am not very sure, but I think both Rajdhani and Shatabdi are at par.


In my childhood days, I exactly do not remember the class; we had a chapter in Geography subject on Indian Railways. I distinctly remember in that it was mentioned that Rajdhani and Shatabdi are the best trains of India. There were few factors mentioned as to what make them the best. Some of them were the speed, less no of stoppages, hospitality etc. Since then I had a fascination as to when I would get an opportunity to travel in this distinctly “elite” train.


I never got an opportunity because wherever I was, be it Indore for studies or Mumbai for my first job, there was either no Rajdhani services to my place of interest, or the distance of travel was so less that I never felt the need to take a Rajdhani. It was only after moving to Bangalore I got an opportunity and also the need for Rajdhani. The day came for me when I had to go to Jabalpur. The best route to go there is from Nagpur. I searched for the trains to Nagpur and on the list saw “Rajdhani”. Without giving a second thought, I booked the tickets for the same. More than the Rajdhani factor it was the convenience of the time. The train departs at 20.20 from Bangalore, which means I could peacefully attend the office and go.


When I was leaving for station, I was quite excited that I am going to travel in one of the most prestigious train of the country! On reaching the station, when I saw the Rajdhani, I was a bit disappointed. For the status of Rajdhani, the looks were pretty shabby. Going by human nature, we form a first impression by looks only! And the same happened with me and my first thought was, “Is this Rajdhani”? I double checked the train number and indeed it was the same train that I was going to travel.


It happens always, that one way or the other, Murphy’s laws applies to you in every situation that you are eager for. Same happened with me and my fascination turned in to more disappointment when I saw the toilets in the train! Good heavens! They were dirtier than the toilets of a passenger train! For a moment, I thought, did I pay so much of money for this? What is the big deal about Rajdhani?


The answer to my questions was given by Indian Railways, during my rest of the journey, through their hospitality. And at the end of my journey, though a bit disappointed, I felt it was worth it!


The hospitality of the IRCTC started the moment the wheels of the train started rolling. The train attendant came and distributed the hand napkins. After that one of the pantry car attendants came and distributed the packaged water bottles. A few minutes later, it was the soup time before dinner. The pantry car attendant came back with breadsticks, a butter cube and a small sachet of pepper, all neatly arranged in a plastic tray. After distributing this to everybody in the compartment, he brought tomato soup. After the soup appetizer, it was the time for dinner. The attendant came out with dinner, all the dishes packed in small paper containers, arranged in the tray. The desserts were served along with dinner. The meal had a fairly good taste and more importantly everything was fresh!


Next morning, the attendant came in with bed tea! Who on earth would like to get up in the morning at 6.00 am in the train, to have a bed tea! But they have to follow the same as it is a part of their services. Moreover, the passengers who have to alight at Secunderabad do get up by then. I happily denied having tea as I was too reluctant to get up!


8.00 am was the breakfast time and the attendant was again back, with the tray! The breakfast had Idli, Upma, and a can of fruit juice. At about 8.30 am we were served tea. At about 12 noon, the attendant was back with soup as it was the lunch time. This time it was sweet corn soup. Lunch followed soup. After lunch, it was the time for dessert and I was surprised that they served Ice cream!


I alighted at Nagpur at 3.30 pm. I was not feeling tired, because the journey was quite comfortable. The hospitality was the boon. I thought that you do not need to worry about anything if you travel by Rajdhani. Your all meal requirements are taken care by them. Though initially I was disappointed, but at the end I was happy to have travelled and experience the country’s one of the most prestigious trains!


Contrasting experience, I must say! :-)


God Bless!

Cheers!

Adi

No comments:

Post a Comment