Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Line of Fate!

One fine day, last week, when we were out for a tea break, a colleague and a senior of mine told me casually to show him my hand. I wondered why all of a sudden he wants to see my hand! He than gave the answer to my surprised look, saying that he is an amateur astrologer and learning the ancient Indian science. Though I believe in astrology and all and like myself to read on the subject, yet when it comes to know about future, I am very reluctant. I firmly believe in enjoying the present and letting each day come as it is and there is no point in knowing the future.


He was pestering me and as he was senior to me, I hesitantly showed him my hand. He looked at it keenly for few minutes and started telling whatever he read. He told that my “Line of Fate” is very good and I will earn lots of money! The thing that he told made me happy and if I say any person under the sun would get happy on hearing that. He also asked me whether I need any specific question to be answered related to marriage, job, property etc and told me that he would do it free of cost for me, else he charges 200 rupees! I was surprised a lot and know he was joking but politely said no stating that I am happy with what I have.


Infact to be true, many amateur astrologers have told me that I will earn lotsa, but the fact of the matter is, my account balance does not reflect it in any sense!


Though it was a short conversation, it led me give few thoughts to this practice. Astrology is perhaps one of the oldest sciences of India. It is still a question of debate, whether to consider that as a science or not! In my opinion it is a mystic science, which is so deep rooted that it is not easy for common person like us to understand its depth. Those who have truly acquired this science would not advertise themselves!


In our country you can find this science in every nook and corner. It is a very common scene to see people with “Know your future” board sitting under trees. Call it Irony of fate, those who themselves are unaware of their future, are making fool out of innocent people by telling their future! When I was in Mumbai, I saw an Astrologer who had opened a stall in a plush mall in the western suburbs. He had many fat books neatly arranged on his table, just to attract attention, I suppose. And keeping pace with modern trends, he had a laptop also. The consulting fee was 500 rupees. For a moment, I thought that if I get in to this field I can earn more whatever I am doing now by writing software code!


In small towns also, you will find these astrologers sitting under the Banyan tree, keeping few books along with a signboard. Infact I have also seen people sitting with parrots. I still wonder that how a parrot is able to tell a person’s future. To increase the wonder is the fact that people also believe in it!

TV channels have also led to the commercialization of the Astrology. Every morning you can see some “pundit” telling what the day is in store for you as per your sun sign, on every news channel. And there are many people who plan their day as per that. Isn’t a thing of astonishment?



If God has given stomach, then perhaps he only takes care of the meals for that! These people are having a ball because of the tendency of, we, the people. Most of the people I have seen are more worried about their future than enjoying whatever is in their hands. Before taking on any venture, they are keen to know the outcome. This tendency of ours is the sharpest weapon for these people!


Anyway, this is an endless debate and these people will make merry till we change our mindset. And I do not see that changing for quite a long time.


As far as my opinion goes, I do not believe in the stars but the “one” who has “created” them!


God Bless!

Cheers!

Adi

2 comments:

  1. Really nice post....and so true. This is such a common tendency we see around. I wont keep myself apart from it, there is always an inclination towards this mystic science as you have put it :) but one thing is for sure, all the charm of life will vanish once you know what the future is. And yes those farzi baba log every day on the television screen are so irritating :):) and deceiving too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha... couldn't help smiling. infact i almost remebered all the places i have seen such babas, dhongi or not. i am happy this way, live today, and we'll see whatever comes tommorow. sab sambhal lenge :)
    but come to think of it.. does it really matter if we knew our future? i mean would we be able to change it, if yes then what we knew as the future is no longer true... if we can't change it then whats the point knowing in advance and spoiling all the fun that life had to throw on us. there's a thing about the future, if you look at it, it changes because you looked at it... i know i know this last line was froma movie.. Next!!!

    ReplyDelete